Monday, May 2, 2016

Greetings followers! Are you all ready for another instillation review on this week’s comic discussion? Great, because that might not happen! Now hold up everyone with your confusion and your questions, and just hear me out right now. In my class today, there was a lot of debate and discussion that covers a certain commonality in not just comics but in media itself and seems to have infected people’s way of life interlay. I’m talking, of course about, stereotypes. Now to my honest confession, I have not really read a comic preparing us for class for this discussion, but if many of you who have been following me from the beginning or have recently started following and have seen/read my previous bogs/reviews, may already know about the case and point I made about the character, Mr. Ebony from the classic comic, “The Spirit”.  For those who have read my discussion about this character and have checked it out for them selves, kudos to you. For those of you who haven’t, I recommend doing so, so that way you not only get my references to this discussion, but also understand my personal view points in this blog instillation. Now without further a due…

            It’s no secret that there has been a lot of stereotyping done in the world of comics since it’s take off into mass print and publishing to hundreds and thousands of people. Depending on why writes a series for a while, the writing to some characters might change slightly or dramatically that can for better or worse grasp the readers attention more. Stereotypes have been around for as far back as early communication between cultures. Let’s face it; there was something at one point that people caused people to think one way about certain cultures and so on and so forth. Hell, these things are still apparent and apart of society today and can be found through most consumer brands, products, advertisement, commercials, books, movies, documentaries, I can literally go on and on folks, but I think you get the point of what I’m trying to make there. Stereotypes do exist to a degree and based on just the matter of choice in the provided stereotype(s) upbringing. In comics, the rules of stereotypes existed mainly due to the era’s culture (in this example, America). American comics now are definitely more diverse and challenging against the racist, sexist and gender stereotyping that leveled them out to be way back when during the early 1900’s. But the main thing comics and reality have to offer in commonalities is that, with a growth and evolution of a country and era, people are bound to step away and break free from what generations of labeling have had to subject them too. Women in life and in comics used to be portrayed as objects that men would have to rescue and claim as a prize. Now, they are the ones that can do the saving for any human being and stand just as tall with the boys as they stood alone for years. Even different races are being mixed in with the overly white washed selection of characters that have been provided for our enjoyment for decades. But through a lot of these comics we as society can learn the ideas and possibilities of hope and a freer tomorrow for all people to live in peace with one another.

            Well, this would basically conclude what I have to say for the roles and positioning of stereotypes in not only in the comic book media but in society as well. I’m sorry for sticking to only bold pieces of input from this topic. I know like a lot of you, I can go on for hours and hours worth of writing and speaking on this subject, but for right now, there is more work to be done, more comics to be read and other things awaiting us in the days to come that desire our attention more then just having to focus on this one subject. So thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say about this subject and stick around for the next installment in my comic blog reviews, fellow comic lovers.          

   

No comments:

Post a Comment