Monday, May 2, 2016

Hello comic lovers and followers! My apologies for not posting anything for... a few weeks. Things have been pretty hectic in my life recently or rather in the past few weeks for school and projects wise and I really lost track of these blog reviews. I know a lot of you have been waiting to hear back from me on my recommendations and reviews and again, I am sorry for being this late. But I'm gonna try to blow out as much and all posts/reviews as possible between now and the rest of the week. So with out further a due, let's get started.

This new review will be on a very well known novel that has a very sensitive, historical significance from the times of WWII Nazi occupied Europe. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm talking about the well known (animalized) emotionalized dark journey that is found in the famous graphic novel, Maus.

For those who aren't familiar with this novel, or have been thinking about reading this novel today's your lucky day. Now for those of you who are history buffs or want to learn more about the first hand dark sides of the Nazi occupied Poland, this is the perfect read for you, and don't worry, I won't go into too much detail about the novel to give away spoilers or the rest of the story so you all can check it out on your time. With that said, let's begin. In the beginning, we are introduced to more of a "present tense" situation of a mouse (I know, shocker.) interviewing his elderly father about a biography he is working on about his experiences in Poland during WWII. When the father begins his story, life appeared to be simpler for him as he was explaining the classic parental story of how a father meets the mother. Now things tend to go rather stereotypical during this point in the father's life as he explains the complication of leaving behind a girl that he used to "fool around with" for the girl he would end up marrying and going through the struggle of meeting with the girl's parents, getting a business job from the girl's parents to start up a family and all that fun happy jazz. Things seemed to have gone well for the (past tense) until war finally broke out from Germany of the Nazi party and began to plague Europe like a disease. For the grandfather, he had no choice but to be drafted into service for the Polish military and fight against the Nazi army on the front lines. Only to be captured, taken prisoner and left to survive cruel environments that were the Nazi POW Camps (Prisoners or War). After working off his sentences as a prisoner by the Nazi’s our main antaganist is set free to return to his family and together, find a way to survive a Nazi occupied Europe. 
One thing that was very interesting about this novel and how ironically and playfully well it managed to fit with the title, was the animalistic depiction of the races of people. The Polish/Jews were portrayed as mice, while the normal Polish people were portrayed as pigs and then the evil German Nazi’s (enemies to the Jews) were designed like big, intimidating cats. This helps the viewers make more sense (in my opinion) to know what is going on for this depiction of actual life events in WWII and Europe's separation and classification between cultures.
Now I know you’re all not going to like what I’ll have to say… but I’ll say it anyway and be “that guy” and stop the description/review here. I know I know.. “what the hell, Matt?!” well, you know what they say, keep them wanting more. But in that turn of phrase, I’m really only doing it to favor the author and the book series. Hoping that all of you who read this, will be a little more interested in reading or re-reading this story and better remembering this man’s family history and remember the tragedy that took place so many years ago.

Oh, and again, my apologies for not providing consistent upload blog every week like I have been doing before, again, life’s been very busy and hectic on my end. But don’t worry, I’ll have all the blogs I’ve missed out on providing for you all from the past few weeks up and ready for you to read soon. So in the mea time, keep reading my followers and fellow comic lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment